The Indian Premier League(IPL) 2022 is underway and fans had been waiting for the 15th edition of the cash-rich tournament to start. However, the Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI) has some concerns regarding viewership. The TV ratings (TVR) of the 15th edition of IPL has seen a massive 33% dip in the opening week. In wake of the forthcoming IPL Media Rights Auction the fall in ratings is being read as a huge setback for the BCCI.
IPL 2022 failed to deliver the usual high ratings in the opening week
It is no secret that the IPL always deliver the bumper ratings in the opening week. But for the first time the ratings have plunged for the first week of IPL 2022 very considerably.
According to BARC Data: Week 13: Saturday, 26th March 2022 to Friday, 1st April 2022
- First eight matches of the IPL 2022 scored a TVR of 2.52.
- In comparison, TVR for the opening week in IPL 2021 was 3.75. This clearly means ratings for the opening week has fallen by 33%.
- Ratings for IPL 2020 was 3.85 TVR for the opening week.
- Not only the Ratings but the overall reach of the first week has also dropped.
- The opening weekend reach has almost dropped by 14% to 229.06 million.
- VIS a VIA last year the reach for the opening week was 267.7.
- The opening week of IPL 2022 also failed on anothe perimeter. Normally opening week of IPL always makes the IPL Broadcaster No. 1 on BARC Charts.
- Star Sports 1 Hindi has stayed at No. 3 on the chart which clearly shows that IPL’s magic has failed to work in the opening week.
It has been announced that the bidding war for the IPL Media Rights for 2023-27 will take place on June 12th. The ratings will surely be a huge factor as it will be scrutinized by the bidders – but for now it is unlikely to have much impact on the values of rights.
According to the available information, five serious players have already bought the tender doucments. Disney Star, TV18-Viacom (Sports-18), Amazon, Zee & Sony have already bought the tender documents within the first week of BCCI releasing it.